The 90s are now over twenty years in the past (for fellow elderly millennial types…this hurts a lot). But the 90s still have a visceral hold on the collective imagination.
Is it the fashions? Unfortunately, yes. The music? Thankfully, not as much. The movie and TV shows? Absolutely. That’s why we launched this blog series– 90s TV characters as plants!
This week we are looking at a little-known NBC sitcom, you probably haven’t heard of it, called Friends. Six friends, six messy love lives, and one beloved coffee shop.
- Joey has always been one of my personal favorites, so he is everyone’s easygoing plant – the pothos. Laid back, low-maintenance, they just want to hang around your living room and chill.
Favorite quote: “It is a love based on giving and receiving as well as having and sharing. And the love that they give and have is shared and received. And through this having and giving and sharing and receiving, we too can share and love and have and receive.”
- THE Chandler Bing, could he BE any more of a succulent? At first glance, he seems demanding but actually just wants to be left alone, and once you give him too much attention he gets super awkward and uncomfortable.
Favorite quote: “Until the age of 25, I thought the only response to ‘I love you’ was ‘Oh, crap.’”
- Our resident Type A queen is Monica, paired perfectly with the fiddle leaf fig. She is exacting and demanding, but completely lovable. Not to mention that when you get that perfect mix of sunlight and water you are blessed with a gorgeous plant, kind of like how you have to have the mix of patience and love to deal with Monica’s neurosis.
Favorite quote: “Now, I need you to be careful and efficient. And remember: If I am harsh with you, it's only because you're doing it wrong."
- Phoebe is for SURE a dracaena. She is colorful but easygoing, but also varied and unique. Not to mention that fact that she is hardy and doesn’t let her mistakes keep her down for long! Just keep your smelly cats away from any dracaena, as they are toxic to pets!
Favorite quote: Monica “Phoebe, do you have a plan?”
Phoebe: “I don’t even have a ‘pla.’ ”
- Rachel is the classic bird of paradise – she looks fancy but is pretty easy going once you get to know her. Like these large plants, Rachel likes to be in the spotlight and brightens up any room.
Favorite quote: “It's like all my life everyone's told me, 'You're a shoe! You're a shoe! Well, what if I don't want to be a shoe? What if I wanna be a purse or a hat?”
- The diva of the Friends group is, of course, Ross. His perfect plant counterpart is the calathea – demanding and at times, confusing.
Favorite quote: “PIVOT!” Tied with, “Unagi is a state of total awareness.”
- Janice is a bromeliad – flashy, hard to get rid of, and always in demand. With her bright clothes and sharp personality, Janice is the perfect human equivalent of these tropical floral plants.
Favorite quote: Anytime Janice shrieks “CHANDLER BING!”
- Gunther is a hoya sweetheart. Simply because he is recognizable from across the room, but can sometimes be forgotten amidst the other foliage – erm, characters.
Favorite quote: Total silence while he carries a tray offscreen.
If you have any TV/plant crossover ideas, let us know on Instagram! Send a message to our page, @cellardplants. Who knows, your ideas may just be the inspiration for the next blog post!